The aim of History teaching at Duke Street Primary School is to inspire the children’s curiosity to know more about the past. Through focusing on chronology, enquiry, communication and interpreting sources we look at different events, people and changes in history both in Britain and across the world. We aim to equip the children to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments and develop perspective and judgment. History enables children to better understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of society and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
National Curriculum Aims
- know and understand the history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day: how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind
- gain and deploy a historically grounded understanding of abstract terms such as ‘empire’, ‘civilisation’, ‘parliament’ and ‘peasantry’ understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses
- understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used rigorously
- to make historical claims, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed
- gain historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts, understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history; between cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history; and between short- and long-term timescales.
History Key Documents